Thursday, December 6, 2007

What the hell is wrong with me?

I was reading Sebastian's blog in the aftermath of the Omaha mall shooting, and one of the comments struck me. How is it that I, a law abiding CCW permit holder, am so repulsed by a store posting signs at the door saying "Gun Free Zone" that I won't shop there again, but have no compunction about packing in a mall where the same thing is posted in the mall rules? What is the reason I obey the Gun Free sign? Is it the larger print? Is it the pistol under the crossed circle that halts me in my tracks like Kryptonite does Superman? Why does the fine print in the Gander Mountain sign saying that their unloaded-and-cased firearms rule doesn't apply to CCW permit holders give me such a warm fuzzy feeling?

Maybe it's the way it's presented. I refuse to accept that a "no guns" clause in a workplace violence policy or in a code of conduct at the mall bind people whose intent is to prevent themselves and others from grave bodily harm. Rational people understand that, until we invent a Star Trek-esque force field that can automatically ensnare people bent on harming others, shitstains like that kid in Omaha can walk right past a list of rules just as easily as I can.

No comments: